Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Man I Became

Inadvertently, I was beating the bass drum with the drumstick. He beckoned me so I can take glimpse of the sliding motion with the stick's head. Having two drum sets in the house is technically noisy and incommodious. He was sweating, he asked my youngest sibling to fetch a towel while still making invisible half-notes in the air. My father never had a proper music class training but I admire how he learned to write notes for his drum rips.

"Okay, ganito yan Joe, lalagyan mo ng friction para magawa mo yung tunog pero bago ka mag-half note itatas mo na yung stick kasi nagva-vibrate pa yung string sa baba, kaya may tunog pa rin. Subukan mo," then he would beat my stick so I could tap out just in time. "Yon! Nakuha mo, sige ulitin mo yan hanggang mag-chorus, tapos 'yung dalawang tom tapos yung cymbals sa kanan."

He is a perfectionist. He should be, after working for almost ten bands in more than twenty years. Being the only son, he wanted me to follow his track. I needed to learn how to play the violin, piano, drums, saxophone, lead and bass guitars.

A consequence of his job is to be abroad most of the time. According to my Psychology professor, the absence of an older male figure in a boy's early years paves way to the boy's attraction to other boys. Attention was pivotal to gender accountability. This is how I became. It was, probably, because of him.

I never deprive him of the right to be lauded, though. He is my greatest music mentor. He worked for us to live decently. He never lacked for our provisions. He is the best man that I know. To me, he is the greatest drummer. He is the second best provider, next to Him. He is my father.

We barely speak for the past years. Maybe, because I don't know what else to say whether on the phone or at home. We were never tie-close. In the course of time maybe he too, noticed that I was dodging conversations with him. To me there was little to talk about.  I always admire those cool father-son relationships I see on TV, wishing I also have that to brag. I always had hope that we will reach a point when both of us will engage in a conversation not relating to music or school, to give us a tighter bond. He is getting older and so am I. But these never materialized. There are what-ifs.

There are a few ocassions wherein I could have told him this but there is a brevity in the courage of my tongue to release the words. Words which might have been the only thing that he needs to hear to weaken our differences, if not erase them:.

I love you, Pa.

8 comments:

  1. Awww. I'm hoping your relationship improves soon. :D

    Happy Father's day to all the dads! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope for that to happen. Thanks, and Happy Father's Day, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Siguro hindi pa ngayon ang time para mag bond tlga kayo ng tatay mo.. but yes, saying those lovely words could really help.. Malay mo nga, hinihintay lang din nyang sabihin mo sa kanya yun..

    You obviously love your dad.. Why not tell him that? :) Words are powerful.

    Happy Father's Day to your dad.. and to all the fathers out there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @green we have the father that we have. subukan mo kayang ayains a inuman tatay mo? :P
    made me think of my dad (who's right across the table) medyo dysfunctional yung relationship namin from outsider's standpoint but then it molded me and reinforced my belief in being treated fairly

    ReplyDelete
  5. A hug will suffice. Say it with affection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. first off...Happy Father's Day to your Pa!
    You're still lucky GB you have a father. How I wish I could have one but sadly I have never met my father.
    Siguro darating din yung araw na makakapag-usap kayo ng masinsinan other than yung usual ninyong pinag-uusapan. Still, I am happy for you though.
    Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hope your relationship gets better.
    as they say, don't let the moment pass
    good luck GB.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Father is the eye of the home we are in, sometimes he is pissed. But that's a part of being a father.. Happy father's day to your dad..

    ReplyDelete

Tweets and Stuff.